Tuesday, April 16, 2013

St. Baldrick's: shaving my head to raise money!

Just over a month ago, my Love and I shaved our heads after more than doubling our original fundraising goal for St Baldrick's.  This is a national fundraiser that contributes the most money (other than government funding) towards research to cure childhood cancers.  I put a few jars up in local businesses (tip from experience: go with the locally owned businesses, anything that is a "chain" will need to go through corporate) but I mostly begged through Facebook and it was a huge success!


Here is me holding my first pigtail. I do typically donate my hair to organizations that make wigs for folk who cannot grow hair.  Since I just did a donation last spring, I needed to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths because they only require 8 inches instead of 10 as some of the other donation programs. 



Shaving in Progress

 Finished product.  Note that all of the people shaving heads and the bartenders were volunteering their time.  So even if one does not want to drop the locks, there are still ways to contribute.  I even met someone this weekend who was giving chair massages in exchange for donations to St. Baldrick's


And the husband of the year award goes to my Love, when I mentioned last fall that I planned on doing this, not only did he support me, but he said he would join me! (that's him next to me!)

And here we are right after the event!  I think we look pretty good!  And all levity aside, I did not find it to be a difficult decision to shave my head, in fact, it was kind of a good excuse for me to do it.  I think donating blood is much more stressful, unlike my blogging buddy.  But during the process of fundraising, I often found myself distraught.  I simply cannot imagine taking my babies to chemotherapy.  I am so very blessed and hope that our efforts make a difference somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment