Sunday, October 14, 2012

Roots and Shoots




I am in the beginning phases of putting together a preschool - elementary age Roots and Shoots group.  I am absolutely in love with the idea of this group.  It is a worldwide movement that has a primary focus on three goals: helping people, the environment and animals.
We have had two formal Roots and Shoots meetings, and are in the process of looking for our first service project.  We were thinking that for our young age group, a litter pick up would be perfect.  So far, the few parks that I have scoped out have been relatively litter free (woo hoo! that is great.  it just makes finding a project a little more challenging).  So we are now on the look out for some alternate locations (and starting to suspect that there may be litter around, but it is just hidden beneath the autumn leaf litter) in addition, we are considering a simple fall flower bulb planting project so that our children, and those in the public location that we end up planting, can all see the benefits in the spring. 
I am just so very excited about this group, that I wanted to post.  and I hope that I will have many projects to post from this group in the coming year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment