Sunday, June 30, 2013

Paying library fines - perspective switch!

I have been an avid patron of the public library for many years (and was thrilled as well as jealous when my sister in law became the director of her local library!  She gets to spend hundreds of dollars a month on books each month!  how FUN!!!).
Anyway, as an avid user, I do occasionally acrue a library fine (typically on some media that I ended up not liking and forgot about, or hoped that I would get into, but ultimately hated.)  I used to get SO annoyed at these fines.  But a former boss gave me a new way of looking at these fines.  I now consider them a donation to the library.  Love it!  But the blog has pushed me to find new and creative ways to give back.  So as I was paying my most recent fine (an act that in the past would make me hang my head in shame, but now I consider my most recent contribution to an instiution that I LOVE)  I asked if they would keep the change and use the money to zero out another patron's account.  They obliged.  I gave them a note to give to the chosen patron. 

I think this is a nerd's variation on paying for the toll/coffee behind you. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I have long viewed library fines I can't seem to avoid as a donation to the library. But to pay someone else's...very cool. Totally the nerd version of paying for the coffee of someone behind you hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am so glad you liked this! I knew I wasn't the only one who got library fines. Sometimes you just have to suck-it-up, I guess! If you have any suggestions for kind deeds, please share! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete