Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sharing Our Riches

I came across this link on social media. The article was interesting (church community raises enough money to purchase and renovate a building that will be used to house people who have been homeless) But I really enjoyed the video at the bottom - go watch it. I believe it is relevant either because of or despite the religious spin.

Ok, so now that you have watched it, isn't it inspiring to know that we are all rich?  It is so true. So very true. I have not done the calculations on my family's giving. We tend to give hodgepodge to the particular causes that my friends are fundraising for. While this method allows us to contribute to a wide range of needs perhaps some we would not have even considered otherwise, I literally have no idea of the scope/percentage. It is time to make sure we are contributing enough.

Since it is the beginning of the year, the time is ripe for tracking. I am going to have my wonderfully analytical husband create a spreadsheet (or tracking device of his choice).  If it is good enough, perhaps I can do a follow up post and share it, so that anyone who wants to use it will be able to.

Happy Giving!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    I went to FMHS with Sarah, and we found each other on Facebook a few years back. She just asked me to write about my motivation for running the New York City Half Marathon on March 16th, 2014 for "Every Mother Counts" a charity that supports a mother's access to pre and postnatal care.

    I just served 8 years enlisted in the US Navy Seabees (Construction Battalions) and was honorably discharged this past June. I have been exposed to extreme poverty doing deployments for the Navy all over the world. One deployment was a humanitarian mission in the Pacific Rim (Philippines, Papua New Guinea, and Micronesia), and I assisted in building schools and clinics in these areas. The poverty and despair were so great, it awakened in me the need to do more and I donated sporting goods to the local orphanage and when I returned to the States, I sent books to one of the schools we rebuilt. Ironically, the postal charge was more expensive than the books since the Philippines does not have an organized postal system like the US.

    I have also done Habitat for Humanity in the Gulf Region surrounding my Navy base in Mississippi because even today these communities are still trying to recover from Hurricane Katrina. I have always been involved whether its organized or done individually. Right now, I'm enjoying being a student vet, and I just became vice president of my New York City College of Technology's Veterans Club. I have been wanting to volunteer, however, time is limited, but I found an alternative way. Despite this polar vortex nonsense I am running for "Every Mother Counts." If you can check out their website (http://everymothercounts.org/) and even better please help me raise money for this awesome cause. Any amount helps!

    To make a donation, please visit: http://www.crowdrise.com/EMCNYCHalf2014/fundraiser/blaireharrington

    Thank you,

    Blaire Harrington

    ReplyDelete